What is the Canada Child Tax Benefit?


The Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. Included with the CCTB is the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), a monthly benefit for low-income families with children. The NCBS is the Government of Canada’s contribution to the National Child Benefit, a joint initiative of federal, provincial, and territorial governments, and First Nations. The CCTB also includes the Child Disability Benefit (CDB), a monthly benefit providing financial assistance for qualified families caring for children with severe and prolonged mental or physical impairments. For more information, please go to the website: (CCTB) or call: 1-800-387-1193 Before sending your application, please go to the website and get all the information you need. Depending on your status, there are various forms that you must send along with the application. From the time of application to the time you begin receiving benefits is at least two or three months on average. If you send an incomplete application, they will send you a letter requesting further information. This will prolong your application processing time significantly. For help with your CCTB application form please contact settlement staff at the Multicultural Association of Fredericton.:

What types of child care services are available?

In Canada, it is illegal to leave a child under 12 years old alone in a house. You may leave your child in the care of a trusted adult or teenager no less than 13 years old. If you do not have any friends to leave your child with, and you cannot afford to hire a babysitter, ask your neighbors or friends for a referral. There are also professional Day Care Services, and After-School Programs available in every city. These are not free of charge, and they sometimes have waiting lists to get in. Following is contact information for some local childcare services. For complete list of childcare services in Fredericton, look in the yellow pages directory for “Day Care Centers and Nurseries” or contact Public Health Services at 453-2830. Click here for local information. The Multicultural Association of Fredericton LLSD Classes (Language Learning and Skills Development for Newcomers to Canada) provides on-site child minding for children aged 6 months to 5 years, whose parent is registered in LLSD classes. This is a free service for Permanent Residents who are currently full time students in LLSD classes. However, the service is not an automatic one, and may depend on space availability or other factors. If you attend University or College curses or you have low paid job, you can apply for subsidies available by NB Government to pay your child care needs. To ask for provincial childcare subsidies, please contact NB Social development Office at 1-866-444-8838.:

What about school for my child?

Children 5 years old and up, are required by law to be enrolled in the public school system. They must remain in school until they graduate from high school or are 18 years of age. The Education system in New Brunswick has kindergarten, and grades 1-12. This is often referred to as K-12. There are three levels of schools: Elementary, Middle and High. Elementary schools often have grades K-5, Middle schools (Sometimes called Junior High) has grades 6-8, and High Schools have grades 9-12. Newcomers to Canada may choose to educate their children in either the English or the French system. All the English schools in Fredericton and surrounding villages are part of District 18. The French school however, is part of District 1, and operates independently from the English system. There are two French schools in Fredericton, Ecole des Batisseurs (K-5) and Ecole Ste-Anne (6-12). The English school system also teaches French, and some schools have French Immersion Programs. If you choose to enroll your children in the English system, they will be placed in the appropriate school that is closest to your home. For this reason, you will need to have an address before registering your child in school. To learn more about the education system, click here. To view the specific school websites, please click on one of the following links: Anglosphone West School District and/or District scolaire francophone Sud Ecole Sainte Anne: