There are many different types of housing in Fredericton. This section outlines your options. It also explains utilities such as gas, electricity, hydro and telephone. There is also information about different programs that may assist renters who have a low income.
Housing for Newcomers website

Renting a Room

Renting a room in a house is one of the least expensive forms of accommodation. In most cases, the rent includes heat, electricity, furniture and sometimes even cable, phone/internet and laundry. You will usually have to share a bathroom or kitchen with other people. Some private homes, rooming houses or boarding houses may have rooms where meals are included in your rental fee. Look in the Rooms for Rent or Shared Accommodations section of the Classified ads in the newspaper.

Renting a House or Apartment

If you want to rent an apartment or house in Fredericton, look in the Classified section of Fredericton’s local newspaper, The Daily Gleaner, or on the following website www.canadaeast.com. If you are checking the website, be sure to specify which publication you wish to search. The Daily Gleaner is the only newspaper specific to Fredericton. If you search all, you may be looking at rental information for a different city. You will probably have to sign a lease at your new home or apartment. Many landlords in Fredericton require a one-year lease, which means you must commit to stay in the apartment for a period of one year. Sometimes you can find apartments that have only a monthly lease. This is more flexible in that you only need to provide the landlord with one month notice before leaving. The lease outlines the responsibilities of the renter and landlord. It is very important that you fully understand the lease before signing it. Almost every landlord requires you to pay a security or damage deposit. This is usually equal to one month’s rent, but can never be higher than that. If you fulfill all the terms of the lease, and leave the apartment in the same condition as you found it, the deposit will be returned to you when you vacate the premises. If you have caused damage, not cleaned, or owe the landlord any money, he has the right to keep some or all of the money. The deposit is held by a Rentalsman, who serves as a middleman between the landlord and the tenant. If there is any dispute with your landlord which you are not able to resolve, the Rentalsman may be able to help.


Whether you rent or buy your new home, you will have to pay for utilities such as electricity, water, telephone and cable television. If you rent an apartment, the cost of some of these utilities may be included if your rent. However, they are not usually included if you rent a house.


Power or electricity is available to all properties. It is used for lights, appliances, and in some homes, heating. If you rent an apartment, the cost of your electricity may be included in your rent, or you might be billed separately by the power company. If you buy a house or condominium, the electricity charges will be billed directly to you. If you have never been a client of NB Power, you will be required to pay a deposit. For further information contact NB Power at 1-800-663-6272.


Most landlords will cover the cost of water and sewage. If you are renting an apartment, you will not be billed separately for water. However if you own a house, you will receive a bill for the amount of water you use plus a sewer charge. The bill comes from the city of Fredericton, and usually arrives quarterly, meaning every three months.


To connect a telephone in your home or apartment, you will need to contact the telephone company Aliant or Rogers. You can call Aliant at 1-800-561-6283 or Rogers at 1-888-764-3771, and speak in either French or English. You will have to provide identification when you apply for telephone service. They will ask for a driver’s license or Social Insurance Number. If you are new and do not yet have either of those documents, your Immigration client ID number is an acceptable piece of identification. You may have to pay a deposit until you have a credit rating with the phone company. The phone company keeps the deposit for a short time. Then, if you pay all your phone bills on time, they will return the deposit to you by reducing your monthly bill by the amount of the deposit. Your monthly bill will include a charge for using the telephone “land” line, the telephone rental, any long distance calls you make, and any other extra features you choose, “call display”, “call waiting”, or a cellular phone. You can pay rent every month on a telephone from Aliant, or you can also buy your own telephone from a retail store such as Canadian Tire, Zellers or WalMart. If making long distance calls, especially overseas, it is not recommended to dial directly using Aliant services. You can buy pre-paid calling cards, which offer discounted prices when calling various countries. One good place to find these cards is the Friendship Convenience Store at 606 Albert Street.